We all know someone who has experienced a cancelled or delayed flight. Worse still, it can also affect us directly.
Did you know that it is possible to receive compensation for a plane ticket? We’ll tell you all about it!
Cancelled or delayed flights are an unfortunate reality for many travellers. There are many reasons for this: technical problems, strikes or weather conditions. To find out more about your rights to reimbursement and compensation, we have some advice for you.
The different situations for claiming compensation
Depending on the different situations, obtaining a refund for your flight ticket in the event of cancellation or delay is much simpler than you might think. There’s no need to stress or panic. Although it is unfortunately impossible to avoid a flight delay or cancellation, you can still console yourself by obtaining compensation.
A number of companies also provide assistance in obtaining this simple refund. AirHelp is one such company helping air passengers to get their money back. Air France can also help you get your money back.
Did you know that thanks to European legislation, you can receive up to €600 in compensation if your flight is delayed? So it’s vital to know your rights as an air passenger.
Passenger rights to know
Passenger rights are laws or regulations that protect you when you fly. They may vary depending on where you travel, but they ensure that passengers receive information, essential care and fair compensation when flights don’t go as planned.
When a flight is delayed or cancelled, stress very often prevents us from fully understanding the situation. If this happens to you, here’s what you need to do at the airport to get the compensation and care you’re entitled to.
1/ Your rights as an air passenger :
– To benefit from a replacement flight following a cancelled flight or a missed connection, some airlines have to find you an alternative flight to your destination if you still wish to travel.
– Food, drink and access to communication should be provided or paid for by the airline.
– For your accommodation regarding overnight delays, you should ask the airline for a hotel and transport to and from the airport.
2/ Gather enough information to claim refunds and compensation later:
– It is important to keep your boarding pass and all other travel documents, as you will need them.
– Inform yourself about the problem and keep copies of all communications from the airline concerning the disruption.
– Keep receipts for anything you had to buy because of the disruption.
– Note the time you arrive at your destination.
3/ Claim compensation for your plane ticket:
– If you did not take a replacement flight, you are entitled to a full refund of your ticket.
– You can ask the airline to pay for any extra costs you have incurred as a result of the disruption, such as accommodation, food or replacement of lost luggage.
– You can also contact a specialist agency to find out whether you are entitled to additional compensation.
Staying aware and informed
Don’t forget that airlines may also provide vouchers or air miles instead of cash refunds or compensation. You are not obliged to accept if you are not satisfied with the service.
We hope that you have obtained enough information to help you out of this complex situation. To find out more, we recommend that you contact professionals in the trade.
Despite the possibility of this situation, don’t forget that holidays are made up of ups and downs and that you should always look on the positive side of the experience so that you can do better next time. Have a good flight and see you soon!