This profession makes people dream thanks to its advantages : to go around the world, to fantasize about femininity… But there are some turbulences linked to this profession.
The criteria of beauty of a stewardess
A few decades ago, stewardesses had to meet selection criteria, especially on the aspect of beauty: women had to be between 1m62 and 1m80 tall, have a harmonious figure, heeled shoes… etc.
These beauty criteria were associated with the profession and elitism. Indeed, in the majority of airlines, the hostesses had to be fresh, smiling, and impassive. They had to wear a strict uniform, composed of a blouse, a skirt and shoes with heels. Besides, it is not a very comfortable outfit in case of emergency evacuation.
The uniform of a stewardess
some airlines have decided to exchange this uniform. Indeed, it reflected the perfect stereotype of the stewardess. They decided to detach themselves from this symbol of the femme fatale. The outfits worn by the stewardesses have a rather conservative air of the profession. And that returns that the stewardesses were judged only by their appearances.
Today, several airlines including Skyup Airline, Ukrainian airline. They offer new clothes to the stewardesses such as T-shirts, wide pants and sneakers.
Beyond that, being a flight attendant has several advantages :
- Earning a living by traveling
- Constantly discovering new places
- Being able to stay several days in a country (visits, explorations)
- Lodging in beautiful hotels (comfort to be in shape for the next flight)
- Not to have a routine (change of teams, destinations)
After the good weather, comes the rain! Of course, the job of a flight attendant is a dream, but there are also disadvantages :
- Heavy working conditions
- Accumulation of fatigue (standing 7 hours)
- Saying goodbye to weekends and holidays and dealing with jet lag, which is omnipresent
- Can have consequences on the health of some women with the altitude
- Destinations that are subject to natural disasters
Also, to become a flight attendant, you must be bilingual or trilingual because they are in direct contact with passengers from all over the world. The official language of the airlines is still English. It is therefore necessary to be able to inform and answer passengers in this language.
In conclusion, being a flight attendant is an excellent way to travel. However, it is important to remember that it is a job with a lot of responsibility and tiring physical conditions. It is therefore important to be well informed about this profession.
Follow us on Instagram